Top 10 Technology news
1. Sales of new iPhone 6S, iPhone 6S Plus to beat last year’s record: Apple Apple Inc said the sales of its new iPhone 6S and iPhone 6S Plus are on pace to beat last year’s record of 10 million units during the first weekend. It said the demand for iPhone 6S Plus exceeded its forecasts for the pre-order period. Apple will begin shipping the new iPhone 6S and iPhone 6S Plus from September 25. Apple had begun pre-orders from September 12 and both the models will be available in the UK, Australia, Canada, China, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Japan, New Zealand, Puerto Rico, Singapore and the US beginning September 25. India could get the new devices, iPhone 6S and iPhone 6S Plus, during the festive season around October-November.
2. Motorola launches Moto X Play in India, priced at Rs 18, 499 Motorola launched Moto X Play smartphone in India priced at Rs 18, 499, which will go on sale on Flipkart from midnight Monday. The smartphone features a 21 megapixel camera and a 30 hour battery life promise. The 32 GB version of the Moto X Play has been priced at Rs 19, 999. Motorola will sell the Turbo charger for the Moto X Play separately. The Moto X Play is the cheaper and smaller screen version in the 2015 Moto X series. The smartphone comes with a 5.5-inch Full HD screen at 403 ppi with Gorilla Glass 3, Snapdragon 615 Octa-core CPU clocked at 1.7 GHz with Adreno 405 @ 550 MHz GPU.
3. Samsung Galaxy J2 priced at Rs 8, 490; smartphone is 4G enabled Samsung Galaxy J2 has been launched in Ahmedabad on Monday at a price of Rs 8, 490. With this, smartphone-maker Samsung India Electronics has introduced its entry-level 4G model. Samsung Galaxy J2 has an Ultra Data Saving (UDS) mode for those who want to keep a tab on their Internet pack costs by controlling data usage. Speaking at the launch, Samsung India Director (Mobile Business) Manu Sharma said the UDS mode is an “India-centric innovation”. (Image: PTI)
4. Just Dial launches new Android App, Search Plus, on Google Play Store Local search engine Just Dial has launched a new Android App, Search Plus, on Google Play Store. “The company has launched its latest Android app on Google Play Store. The company has also submitted its new iOS app to Apple App Store and is expected to go live shortly, ” Just Dial said in a filing to the BSE. “Just Dial’s new visually appealing multi-purpose Search Plus app is aimed at enhancing experience for its users by providing a one-stop online solution for a variety of user requirements pertaining to information retrieval, search and online transactions, ” it added.
5. Nintendo celebrates 30th anniversary of ‘Super Mario’ Nintendo today celebrated the 30th anniversary of Super Mario, one of the best-known characters in video game history, at an event where artists performed his theme music for fans dressed as the hyperactive plumber. Super Mario series creator Shigeru Miyamoto appeared on stage as a crowd cheered at a packed live-music venue that can house up to 700 people. He watched a human-size mascot Mario blow out candles on a birthday cake. “I was touched when I sang a birthday song with all of you, ” Miyamoto said. “Happy birthday, Mario!” (Image: Reuters)
6. Evernote app's India userbase crosses 5-mn mark Cross platform note-taking app Evernote today said it has crossed the 5-million user mark in India, making it the fifth largest market for the US-based firm. At the end of February 2013, the company had announced reaching the one-million user mark in India. Founded in 2007, Evernote is privately-held company headquartered in Redwood City, California with nearly 400 employees. Its products reach more than 100 million users worldwide. The company said India is among the top four countries with exponential new user acquisition rates, along with the US, Brazil and China. India ranks number five in terms of total userbase. The US ranks as the top market for Evernote with 25 million users, followed by China (17 million), Taiwan (seven million), Brazil (6 million) and India with 5 million users.
7. Blizzard announces new ‘StarCraft II’ release date American game developer Blizzard announced the release date for its Starcraft II. According to the PCWorld, StarCraft II: Legacy of the Void will be released on Starcraft II. Legacy of the Void wraps up nearly twenty years of StarCraft, acting as conclusion to threads not only established in StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty and Heart of the Swarm but in StarCraft and Brood War all those years ago. The users who preorder the finale will also receive an immediate access to a special three-mission prologue, Whispers of Oblivion, which bridges the gap between Heart of the Swarm and Legacy of the Void. On the other hand, the prologue missions will eventually be free to everyone, even if the users have never purchased StarCraft II.
8. Yahoo’s Flickr shows off preview of virtual reality experience Yahoo-owned Flickr has shown off an early preview of a virtual reality experience that it hopes to integrate with its photo service. According to Engadget, the Yahoo’s Flickr demo was with an Oculus DK 2 connected to a PC and the aim is that the users will be able to use the headset specifically with 360-degree panoramic photos. Bertrand Fan, the front-end architect for Flickr, who is heading up the project, says the plan right now is to add a VR headset link or button at every page with a 360-degree photo, so if the users have a VR headset, they can try the VR experience out. The Flickr VR demo currently only works with the Oculus but fans hopes to have it integrated with the other VR headsets as well.
9. Chinese brands offer biggest bang for the buck: Meizu Technology’s Li Nan Having established their dominance at home, leading Chinese mobile companies are increasingly turning their gaze overseas. India is naturally on their radar as it is emerging as the third-largest smartphone market in the world. Meizu Technology, one of the top ten smartphone brands in China recently forayed into the lucrative Indian mobile phone market with its flagship phone, MX5, priced at Rs 19, 999. “After establishing a strong presence in the UK, Germany, France, Spain, Israel, Russia, Ukraine, Indonesia, Hong Kong, and Thailand, India is our next key market. Our focus in India will be to provide future-ready products, which are ahead of competition in both design and performance, ” says Li Nan, vice-president—marketing, Meizu Technology.
10. Motorola sells 2.6 mn smartphones in India, most are Moto G and Moto E models Buoyed by strong sales of Moto G and Moto E smartphones, handset maker Motorola has sold 2.6 million units in India over the last seven months. The US-based company, which re-entered the Indian market in February last year, has also launched a new smartphone — Moto X Play in the Indian market priced at Rs 18, 499. “We have received a fabulous response from the Indian market. It continues to be an important market for us. We have till date sold 5.6 million units, of which 2.6 million came in the February-August period. A bulk of the sales were Moto G and Moto E, ” Motorola India General Manager Amit Boni said. Since the re-entry, Motorola has introduced the Moto E (two generations), Moto G (three generations), Moto X and the Moto 360 smartwatch in India exclusively through e-commerce firm Flipkart.